A month or so ago I was accepted in to the Adidas Leadership Scholars program at KU, which I would later find out was Adidas's way of supporting non athlete students in getting one on one academic attention. I really did not have any expectations of what it would be like other than knowing that I would be required to attend a summer academy from June 17th- July 28th. A little over a week ago I moved to Lawrence for the summer academy! 

I had intentions to write this blog after the first week but turns out going to summer classes is really overwhelming and it can be hard to do anything extra! There are 33 of us in the program (I think...) and we have peer mentors. We are all living on the same floor of a dorm and there is a community bathroom... originally was not my favorite but I think it'll be something I will miss when I move back here in the fall. We are all taking 6 credit hours here which consists of a public speaking class and 2 leadership courses. While juggling our condensed coursework from these summer courses we also have scheduled "programming" which usually consists of learning college tips and tricks. 

Within the short time I have been here I have really connected with my peers. You read that right Mom, I have friends! The people in this program are just great, the directors and peer mentors genuinely care about our success in college, PLUS my peers are so open to everyones various personalities and backgrounds. In the last week and a half I have engaged in activities like touring Lawrence, sand volleyball, card games, and disassembling my crib like bed.
 
Laundry has also become one of my favorite pastimes here, nothing motivates you to do your homework like having 60 minutes until your clothes are dried and ready to be hung before they can wrinkle! We have an unlimited dinning plan this summer and there is a station there that only serves vegan meals which has given me the perfect opportunity to eat the way I have been wanting to eat! 

While I am having a great time, I do miss my family and friends in Valley. I haven't been super homesick, though there are times where I feel like ants are marching through my stomach and my throat swells. Luckily, it passes quickly and I am able to call family to feel grounded. It does help to have my Dad and Oma close by always equipped with chocolate goodies. 

As I am progressing through my second week here the conversations in class have become more personal. Just yesterday we were asked why we picked KU and as always I make any self reflection emotional. It is crazy to think about how I got here, it was not an easy decision and if it wasn't for my sister and her husband (among other family members) encouraging me to take the leap I don't think I would have come. Just cool to think how quickly you can become assimilated into a community. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog